PETER GIANOUDIS MD.
Professor & Chairman Department of Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery (School of Medicine, University of Leeds)
Address of Correspondence Academic Department of Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery, Clarendon Wing, D
Floor, Great George Street, Leeds General Infirmary University Hospital, Leeds,
LS1 3EX, UK
Registration Fully Registered with the General Medical Council
No 3707441- Specialist Register Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
Accreditation Board Accreditation in Orthopaedic Surgery, 1 July 1997
Undergraduate B.Sc. (Sports Medicine), Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada, 1985
Professional MBBS University of Ioannina, Greece, 1990
Final Board Orthopaedic Surgery, 1997
CCST certificate for training in Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery (October
M.D. (doctorate by thesis) University of Leeds, 2000
FRCS (Fellow Royal College of Surgeons of England)
FRCS (Fellow Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow)
FACS (Fellow American College of Surgeons)
• Professor & Chairman Department of Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery (School of
Medicine, University of Leeds)
• Honorary Consultant at Leeds General Infirmary University Hospital (2000 bed teaching
hospital, serving a population in the region of 3.5 million)
• Clinical Director Leeds Teaching Hospitals (June 2003- August 2007)
• President of British Trauma Society (January 2003-December 2006)
• President of British Trauma Society (January 2008-January 2009)
• President of the European Society of Pelvis and Acetabulum (2008-2012)
• Executive Board Member of British Orthopaedic Association (BOA) National Trauma
• Board Member of NCEPOD committee (active)
• Instructor American Academy Orthopaedic Surgeons (active)
• Instructor British Orthopaedic Association (active)
• Chair International Membership Committee OTA (2012-2019)
• Chairman AO Masters Course (2003-2006)
• Chairman AO Polytrauma course 2009-2010, 2012, 2014
• Executive member EFORT Trauma Task Force (active)
• Secretary ESTROT society (2014-2018)
• President ESTROT society (2018-20120)
• British Orthopaedic Association Trustee (2018-2021)
• Editor in Chief Injury Journal (2010 onwards)
• Has been awarded since 1997 36 successful grant applications in the sum of over £12 million.
• Published over 650 peer review publications and 12 Orthopaedic and Trauma textbooks.
• Written 80 chapters in Renowned Textbooks of Orthopaedics and Trauma.
• H-index is 95 with 35,900 citations – google scholar
INVITED KEYNOTE LECTURER/GUEST LECTURER
• Professor Giannoudis is a regular international keynote speaker having delivered over 400 lectures
around the world since 2005.
• Visiting Professor at:
University of Louisville, Kentucky, USA; University of Harvard, Boston, USA; University of
Leuven, Belgium; University of Pittsburgh, USA; University of Melbourne, Australia; University of
Princess of Wales, Newcastle, Australia; University of Aachen, Germany; University of Milan,
Italy. University of Goimbatore, India; University of Macmaster, Hamilton, Canada; National
University of Singapore; University of Zurich, Switzerland; University of Charite, Berlin Germany,
University of McGill, Montreal, Canada; Aristotelion University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki,
Greece, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece, Beijing Jishuitan Hospital, Beijing,
• Trained over 200 fellows from around the world in Leeds since 2000.
• Teaching instructor of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, British Orthopaedic
Association, European Federations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology and Chairman of the AO
fracture fixation courses.
• For the clinical, research and charity work, Professor Giannoudis has received a number of awards
1. Awarded 1st prize of a newly edited book (Practical Procedures in Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery 1st
ed) by the Royal Society of Medicine- 10 November 2007, London, UK
2. Ceremonial honorary membership award- German Orthopaedic and Trauma Society DKOU - 23
October 2008, Berlin Germany.
3. Gold Metal of Clinical Excellence, National University of Singapore, 15 November 2008, Singapore.
4. Bronze Clinical Excellence Award-Ministry of Health, UK-17 December 2008, London, UK
5. Ceremonial honorary membership award-Spanish Orthopaedic Society (SECOT) -2 October 2013,
6. Ceremonial honorary membership award - Czech Trauma and Orthopaedic Society-1 October 2015,
7. Ceremonial honorary membership award- Italian Society of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (SIOT) -
15 October 2015, Rome, Italy.
8. Un-sung hero award of National Health System UK (voted by public of Leeds)-24 November 2015,
9. Highly Commended Medical Book Award (Practical Procedures in Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery 2nd
ed)-British Medical Association -15 December 2015, London, UK.
10. Ceremonial honorary membership award- Argentinian Society of Orthopaedics and Traumatology
(AAOT) - 3 December 2017, Buenos Ayres, Argentina.
11. Silver Clinical Excellence Award-Ministry of Health, UK-15 September 2017, London, UK.
• Founder of DAY ONE Trauma Charity 1 September 2014.